Renewal: Safeguarding and Protecting Children
Instructor sports coach UK
Course Length 1.5 hours
Refresh and update your understanding of safeguarding at your convenience
Developed in partnership with the NSPCC’s Child Protection in Sport Unit (CPSU), the ‘Renewal: Safeguarding and Protecting Children in Sport’ eLearning course is a convenient way for you to refresh, consolidate and update your understanding of safeguarding at a time to suit you. An alternative to attending a face-to-face workshop, you can complete this fantastic course from the comfort of your own home – on a tablet or PC – so you can dip in and out to suit your lifestyle, while still keeping track of your progress.
What’s more, the course includes two modules that cover two new topics:
- Positive Sports Parent - Ever witnessed a parent of one of your players heckle or make comments that are not helpful? Includes guidance for parents and coaches.
By the end of this module, you’ll have the knowledge and confidence to empower parents to contribute to enjoyable sporting experiences for all children and young people.
- Safe Communication with Digital Kids - Imagine you discover one of your team has left threatening messages on a young person's social networking page after a poor performance. Would you know what to do?
This module will increase your confidence when it comes to communicating with children about sports sessions. You’ll learn how to take steps to keep children safe and protect yourself online, with information on:
- the risks and benefits of using social media
- how to use social media responsibly
- online grooming and entrapment
- online bullying
- online racism.
Who is it for?
The eLearning is suitable for you if you’re a coach, student, sports official, sport leader, parent or volunteer, aged 18 or over and have already attended the ‘Safeguarding and Protecting Children’ (SPC1) workshop.
As it is a refresher course, it is not appropriate if you have not had previous safeguarding training or are under 18. Most governing bodies of sport recommend coaches refresh their safeguarding training at regular intervals (eg every three years)*.
* Check with your governing body of sport for further information, and to ascertain whether or not it recognises completing the eLearning as an appropriate way to renew your safeguarding training.
This course will update your knowledge and build your confidence. It will help you:
- Refresh your knowledge on current legislation and good-practice
- Build your confidence to recognise children’s welfare issues
- Decide on the appropriate action to protect a child.
CertificatesBy completing/passing this course, you will attain the certificate sports coach UK eLearning
Intellectual Property and Copyright Information
Copyright © The National Coaching Foundation, 2014
sports coach UK is the brand name of The National Coaching Foundation and has been such since April 2001.
All Rights Reserved
Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
3. Neither the name of The National Coaching Foundation nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE. THE AUTHOR ASSUMES NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR PERSONAL INJURY SUFFERED AS A CONSEQUENCE, OR ASSOCIATED WITH, THE IMPROPER USE OF THIS SOFTWARE. DO NOT USE THE INFORMATION CONTAINED WITHIN THIS SOFTWARE UNLESS YOU UNDERSTAND THE INSTRUCTIONS AND ACCEPT THE RISKS OF SUCH USE, OF WHICH YOU ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE. IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT YOU CONSULT WITH YOUR DOCTOR PRIOR TO ENTERING INTO ANY SPORTS OR PHYSICAL ACTIVITY.